Getting back into art as an adult is all due to the adult coloring book trend for me. I had given it all up and had been concentrating on the serious things in life. Getting back to my creative side has, however, made all the parts of my life better. The more art supplies I bought to color with, the more I wanted to play with my other art supplies that I’d tucked away. The more I played with color, the more I wanted to create and grow and learn and be able to call myself an artist too. Enter Life Book!
I looked for art classes in my area in watercolor and painting and drawing and couldn’t really find much but to improve the look of my Facebook newsfeed I’d started following artists in all area’s that appealed to me. I tend to love looking at bright happy colors and beautiful whimsical characters, mermaids, and fairies, hand-lettered pages, and bits of ephemera adding to the artisticness of the piece. That opened me up to all of the artists across the world that give art classes online. What’s cool is that these classes in many ways are even better than going to a class locally because I don’t have to pack up all my supplies and I can stop the teacher and rewind everything they say whenever I need to. Many of the classes are lifetime access and some even allow you to download the video’s of the classes for your own use.
Life Book 2017 has opened up my art world
I really can’t explain how much I am enjoying this art journaling/art therapy /get messy and happy experience let by Tamara Laporte from Willowing Arts. She heads up a team of a whole bunch of wonderful artists who share new lessons with our big group of loving and lovable beginning to expert artists to learn and enjoy.
Although the 2017 edition has already been going for 5 months, you can still join in the fun! You are given access to ALL of the lessons we have already done.
Life Book 2017
Click here to view more details
Want to learn more about Life Book? Tamara has written a book about her art journaling baby. It will be published in January of 2018. Available for pre-order on Amazon or Book Depository
Life Book – Tam’s Online Art Lessons
- Celebrating Your Goddess Superpowers
- Paint over Collage
- Photo Altering
- Honoring Your Past – Front Facing Portrait
- Honoring the Present – Lettering
- Blob Art & Totem Animals
- Healing the Inner Critic & Profile Portraits
- Creating a little love house (childhood healing)
- Creating Mandalas for Intuitive Healing
- Creating a paper/ fabric collage
- Creating Whimsical Characters
- Binding your Life Book
- Bonus Lesson – Stencils (Fast Forward)
- Celebration and Journey (includes warm up lesson: Creating your Fairy Art Mother/Father)
- Celebration and Courage (includes drawing a full figured body and using spray inks)
- Celebrating Heart Connections
- A series of Quirky Birds lesson – Very Popular! She’s still making these cuties now.
- Honouring your Feelings
- Embracing All of You
- Radical Forgiveness
- Mindfulness Art
- Celebrating Earth (using stencils, masking and using and making stamps)
- Bonus: Halloween Queen (Paint over Collage)
- Inspiration – A Graphite Feather (working with graphite)
- Binding your Life Book – each year Tamara has a new idea to bind your Life Book.
Tam’s Life Book 2014
- Celebration of New Beginnings (includes main project: Creating your Inner Artist Guardian and a warm up and colour theory lesson – includes optional guided meditation)
- Celebration of Our Positive Qualities (includes drawing a side facing portrait and using spray inks. Added bonus: playing with composition and negative space)
- Celebrating your Positive Connections in Life (we create a portrait using Paint Over Collage technique)
- Tree of Life smaller bonus lesson (alludes to the interconnection of all life on our planet, and is symbolic of the theme “Celebration of our Connections in Life”)
- A series of Quirky Animals (celebrate their (and your) imperfections, they -in fact- LOVE flaws because they think it makes life more interesting!)
- Honouring & Ritual (draw a beautiful, strong, mysterious Stag and experiment with bringing pattern into your work as a focal (or foreground) element rather than a background element)
- Healing & The Sacred (draw your Sacred Inner Eye and work with positive affirmations – using spray inks – includes a optional guided meditation)
- Healing & Play (exploring intuition – includes various techniques using a variety of your art supplies)
- Celebration & Growth (celebrate your achievements using imagery – collage, paint, paint markers, salt and alcohol technique)
- Expressive Florals smaller bonus lesson (a fun bonus lesson using paint to create big colourful messy expressionist flowers)
- Celebration & Courage – Exploring Brave Courageous You using an Acrylics Transfer technique
- Binding your Life Book
Tam’s Life Book 2015 Art Lessons include:
- Celebration of New Beginnings (includes main project: creating our Beacon of Light – Art Bites for Newbies & Beginners, an introduction to color theory and warm up exercise – includes optional guided meditation (Releasing Fears/ Worries + Welcoming in the New)
- Letting Go Ceremony & Celebration Jar smaller bonus lesson (Setting An Intention (or word) for the Year)
- Affirmation Feather smaller bonus lesson
- Celebration of Closeness & Community in your Life (includes main project: Seeds of Love creating a tree that has ‘sprouted’ from our ‘seeds of love’ – includes a video on ‘value contrast’ and a deepener on color theory)
- Celebration & Gratitude (includes main project: Layers of Your Heart creating a layered heart by combining several collage elements)
- Honoring the Here and Now (includes the main project: It’s the Little Things incorporating a 3/4 face, working with black and white, experimenting with ‘intuitive creation’ and looking at shape contrast also)
- Honoring Shadow & Light (Tam’s Apple smaller bonus lesson looking at light and shadow and painting an apple – includes warm-up exercise)
- Honouring, Courage & The Masculine Archetype (includes main project: Magic, Vulnerability & Courage exploring our own vulnerability, our own courage and work with what we discover in a male portrait of ‘the magician)
- Healing & Empathy (includes main project: Layers of You exploring the concepts of ‘needs’, guiding you through a self-empathy exercise and creating a self-portrait through a ‘paint over collage’ method)
- Healing & The Divine Feminine Archetype (includes main project: You Are Wise working with the feminine archetype ‘The Wise Woman’, exploring our deeper truths and knowns and creating a character or animal in flight that ‘soars’ above our limiting beliefs in wisdom and joy)
- Celebration & Play (includes main project: If you could do anything… exploring how we play, IF we play, what we can do to create more PLAY and being playful, colourful, intuitive and including a playful/ magical character)
- An introduction to Gelli-plating smaller bonus lesson
- A Painterly Face smaller bonus lesson
- How to Bind Your Life Book
Life Book 2016
- The Happy Traveller – Create a front-facing girl (your ‘Happy Traveller’) with 1 or more ‘sacred soul animals’ surrounding her. These ‘sacred soul animals’ will be with you on your journey. The idea is that you can invoke or refer to these animals as ‘animal medicine’, they are creatures that can guide you/ help you on your way.
- Creativity Takes Courage – A great warm up session to get your creative mojo started by going over some warm up mixed media steps, both for the mind and for the hand.
- Your Quirky Amazing Life – I love making Quirky Birds, they are super fun, relatively easy, get you in touch with your inner child and they bring smiles where ever they go! 😉 For this lesson we use characteristics of people/ things we are grateful for and assign them to the quirky bird as a way to celebrate and honour them. Technique wise we work with a very basic wet-in-wet technique and I also include a PDF on ‘cultivating gratitude’.
- Roots & Ground, Wings & Light – Create a mixed media front facing portrait. We also reflect on the theme ‘honouring and grounding’, includes an optional meditation.
- Your Story Matters, The Ripple Effect – Using the fun technique of foam marbling and reflecting on getting in touch with the interconnectedness of us all and how each and everyone of us matters in this world. We symbolically represent this theme in the form of a drop of water falling into a larger body of water, making ripples.
- Dancing With Shadow – Focusing on working with our inner critic and our creative blocks and using Tam’s favourite ‘paint over collage’ art technique. Work with symbolism and transformation. ‘Paint over collage’ is a really interesting and different way to start a painting. It can really expand your understanding of shape & colour and lends itself well to go deeper. Includes optional meditation.
- Embracing All of You – Working with the concept of ’embracing all of ourselves’, including the sadder/ darker parts of ourselves. Includes a video and PDF on ‘self – forgiveness’. Create a ‘sitting’ girl using a ‘silhouetting’ technique, gelli-plating and ‘masking’.
- Grow Free – Letting loose and become free-er by creating creative abstract flowers! It’s so fun and liberating creating in this way. Includes an optional personal development exercise which works on transforming limiting beliefs into liberating beliefs.
- Expressive Florals – smaller bonus lesson from Life Book 2014 (a fun bonus lesson using paint to create big colourful messy expressionist flowers).
- Build Your Dream & Affirmation Board – Smaller ‘bonus lesson’ where we reflect on the connectedness of us all and celebrate our vulnerability and authenticity as a way into deeper connection with our fellow humans. I show you how I like creating a dream/ affirmation board in the non-traditional (just-Tam) way.
- Zentangle Butterfly – smaller ‘bonus lesson’ where we create a zentangle butterfly on an inky background that flies towards everything you’re wanting to call in more and leaves behind it a ‘trail of what you want to let go of’.
- Other bonus lessons include: ‘art bites for beginners’ which explains basic supplies and how they are used and Basic colour theory.
- Pumpkin and Spice – working with the theme of Celebration & Play we experiment, explore, invent, thinking outside of the box, doing something different to what you usually do. Create a beautiful Autumn wreath and make some super cute quirky pumpkins!
- How to Bind Your Life Book
Tamara Laporte also has package deals for you for her past editions of Lifebook